Friday, November 30, 2012

Meeting with the Mormons


Last night was an intense meeting. The Mormon missionaries showed up with a guy named Jaren, who they have been meeting with and giving their version of “the plan of salvation.” They didn’t want to be recorded this time, but, I was able to record where they asked to not be recorded (for all you skeptics). The discussion took an interesting turn when I was asked if I believed that we “pre-existed.” My answer was simply no. They presented their theory on their spirit pre-existing as angelic beings to which they presented scriptures to back up their premises. Unfortunately for them, I am far too well familiar with the scripture references that they were presenting. Not only were they misunderstanding the scriptures, but they were adding to them.
 The discussion reached its climax when I quoted from the Mormon “doctrines and covenants” mainly from “section 132.” I think its worthy of note that the leader of the two, Elder Nelesoni, refused to address the topic of polygamy and Joseph Smith. He said he didn’t have an answer but, that he would if I gave him more time. My problem is that I gave an answer to all questions given to me, and I expect the same from them. After all, I didn’t invite them; they asked if they could meet me. I pressed further, and asked: who got it wrong? Did Joseph Smith error, or did God change His word? The other Elder, stated that God changed His word for the situation to raise seed to the Mormons. To which I responded first with scripture, then with my opinion. I said, then your god is not faithful to his word and I cannot trust him. My GOD on the other hand is faithful to His word, and He is the same yesterday, today and forever!
The meeting ended on that note. Jaren then asked for my number, and said that he would like to talk more…Elder Nelesoni seemed upset, disappointed, etc. He didn’t really want to even shake my hand. The other Elder (I forget how to say his name, much less spell it), seems like he likes me. I really think that if he is objective, he might change religious positions. I did advise him to research the reliability of the scriptures, and the doctrine of inerrancy. I told him to seek an independent source. I pray he does….

1 comment:

Fritts said...

That sounds like an intense night. Good job bro! Keep us all posted on this and future bible studies!!!